Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Thing 7: Web 2.0 Communication Tools

I am using e-mail mostly for personal use. But, I am getting better at using it to communicate with the parents of my students. I like the Five Fast email Productivity Tips by Merlin Mann. I use to read all the little stories and forward them on to friends, but it takes just too much time. So, I write less and delete some of the stories.
Instant messaging doesn’t work very well for me. I am usually on the computer late at night, and not too many people are on at that time. At school, we send e-mail and check our inbox often.
Texting is great. My granddaughter got me into it. We ended up purchasing unlimited text messaging and now we send little messages to each other during the day. Not everyone has unlimited access to text messaging so you have to be careful because they get charged for every text sent and received.
Web conferencing is a great way to learn new things without having to travel far. As a teacher, I like to attend conferences or workshops to get new ideas. At times, these are costly and you have to travel. I much prefer sitting comfortably at home in front of my computer.

No comments: